Asparagus Soup with Brie Bruschetta
Creamy and delicious describe this fresh asparagus soup blended with Progresso® chicken broth. Serve with crusty bread slices topped and broiled with buttery brie for a delightful meal.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 6 Recipe Yield
- Snap off ends from asparagus and peel any tough skin from the stalks; set aside.
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic to oil and butter; cook until light brown. Add onion and celery; reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the gremolata. In 8-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs to butter; cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently; transfer to small bowl. Stir in the parsley and orange peel; set aside.
- In saucepan, add asparagus, broth and thyme to vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling; cook about 3 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Stir in spinach and lemon peel (the spinach will wilt in the soup). Pour soup into blender in small batches; cover and puree each batch until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 1 day or frozen for up to 1 month.)
- Return soup to saucepan and heat over low heat until hot. Stir in the whipping cream, salt and pepper. Ladle into warm bowls. Sprinkle soup with 1 teaspoon gremolata. Pass the remaining gremolata at the table.
- Set oven control to broil. To make bruschetta, butter bread slices on both sides and top each with several slices of brie (2 to 3 oz per bread slice). Broil with tops about 5 inches from heat until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ reduced sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or buttermilk (if using buttermilk, cut the lemon peel in half)
- 1/2 teaspoon gray sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ Italian style panko crispy bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Grated peel of 1 medium orange
- 1 loaf crusty French or Italian bread, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1b Brie cheese, sliced