Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Quinoa
For veggie-based depth of flavor, onions and mushrooms can’t be beat. Put them to good use in this quick and hearty side.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 4 Recipe Yield
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat stock and quinoa to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 14 to 16 minutes or until quinoa is soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown and soften. Add mushrooms, thyme and sage. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release juices and then brown. Add wine; simmer 3 to 5 minutes, scraping pan to release browned bits. Once liquid is almost evaporated, remove from heat.
- Transfer quinoa to Dutch oven; stir to combine. Top with parsley and hazelnuts.
- 1 1/2 cups Progresso™ vegetable stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 3/4 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed, well drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz sliced fresh white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted, if desired