Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Ordinary ingredients become extraordinary when combined in this casserole.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 6 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into 1/8-inch slices to measure about 4 cups.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Spread potatoes in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is brown and bubbly.
- 6 medium boiling or baking potatoes (2 lb)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded natural sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup Progresso™ dry bread crumbs (any flavor)