Crispy Artichoke Hearts with Creamy Bagna Cauda
Dip crispy, cheesy artichoke hearts in a rich, creamy classic Italian sauce for a holiday starter that’s out of this world!
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 18 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese and 1 tablespoon melted butter; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix artichokes and egg. Shake excess egg from artichoke hearts; coat each artichoke heart in bread crumb mixture, pressing mixture lightly to adhere, and place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Discard leftover egg. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, place cream and garlic cloves; heat just to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 13 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching or boiling over, or until cream has thickened and reduced by half (about 1 cup). Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add anchovies and pepper flakes; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until anchovies fall apart. Cool 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, add cream mixture and butter mixture to blender. Cover; blend 20 to 30 seconds or until very smooth.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat sauce just to a low simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly; do not boil. Pour into fondue pot or heatproof serving bowl, and keep warm over low heat. Bagna cauda sauce, like fondue, must be served over heat to maintain its smooth, creamy texture. Stir in lemon peel. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve with artichoke hearts. If sauce separates, stir until smooth.
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ plain panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cans (14 oz each) Progresso™ artichoke hearts, drained, squeezed dry with paper towels
- 1 egg, beaten
Creamy Bagna Cauda
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 flat anchovy filets packed in olive oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley