Fennel Gratin with Parmesan Bread Crumbs
This creamy, dreamy gratin transforms fennel from a crunchy licorice-loaded fresh salad ingredient into a luxuriously sweet, warming holiday side.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 16 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place fennel in baking dish; drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Cover with foil; roast 45 to 50 minutes or until fennel is tender when pierced with paring knife.
- Meanwhile, in 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper flakes. Cook 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add flour; stir 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Slowly stir in stock and cream. Heat to simmering; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until very thick.
- In small bowl, mix Topping ingredients. Pour onion mixture over fennel in baking dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over all. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bread crumbs brown. Let stand 5 minutes at room temperature. Sprinkle some of the reserved fennel fronds over top.
- 5 medium fennel bulbs (about 2 1/2 lb), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch wedges, fronds reserved (6
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Progresso™ chicken stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Progresso™ plain panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (4 oz)