Focaccia Stuffing with Apples and Pancetta
All the other boring stuffings will be jealous when this one makes its debut on your holiday table! Herbs, citrus, nuts, pancetta and rich broth (or stock) come together as an ensemble cast that will turn a humble side dish into the star of the show.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 18 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 325°F. Place cubed bread on ungreased cookie sheet; bake 10 to 15 minutes or until dry and crispy. Cool completely on cookie sheet.
- Meanwhile, spray 4-quart Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-low heat. Add pancetta; cook about 13 minutes, stirring frequently, until rendered and lightly browned. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to large bowl; set aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from Dutch oven; discard or reserve for another use.
- Melt butter with the 2 tablespoons pancetta fat in Dutch oven. Increase heat to medium-high; add onion, celery, salt and pepper. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add apples; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add stock to Dutch oven; heat to simmering. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, using spoon to release browned bits from bottom. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Add eggs, thyme and sage to pancetta in bowl. Stir in bread. Pour broth (or stock) mixture over ingredients in bowl. Stir to combine. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until center is hot and top is browned and crispy. Cool 5 minutes. In small bowl, stir together Topping ingredients. Sprinkle over stuffing in dish.
- 8 cups 1/2-inch cubes focaccia bread (about 1 lb)
- 8 oz pancetta, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Gala apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 2 cups Progresso™ chicken broth or stock
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel