Mexican Beef and Bean Stuffed Peppers
Breakfast cereal is the surprise ingredient that keeps these hearty, colorful stuffed peppers low in fat and calories and high in flavor!
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 8 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 350°F. Crush cereal.* In medium bowl, mix cereal and tomato puree; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut bell peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides up, in 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in cereal mixture and remaining ingredients except cheese. Divide beef mixture evenly among peppers.
- Cover; bake 40 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle each pepper half with 1/2 tablespoon cheese; let stand 5 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups Fiber One™ original bran cereal
- 2 cups Muir Glen™ organic tomato puree (from 28-oz can)
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1/2 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup Progresso™ red kidney beans (from 19-oz can), drained, rinsed
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (1 oz), if desired