Mini Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Zucchini Meatball Orrechiette
Ground turkey meatballs packed with veggies and mozzarella cheese are the perfect complement for orecchiette pasta.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 8 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line sheet pan with cooking parchment paper or silicone nonstick baking mat. Sprinkle grated zucchini lightly with salt; toss to coat. Set aside while preparing other ingredients.
- Squeeze out as much of the zucchini liquid as you can; there will be a few tablespoons. Discard liquid.
- In large bowl, gently mix all Meatball ingredients except mozzarella cheese until combined. To make each Meatball, scoop 1 teaspoonful mixture into hand; flatten into a patty. Place 1 mozzarella pearl in center of patty; enclose cheese completely inside mixture. With hands, roll into ball; place in pan. Repeat to make remaining meatballs.
- Bake in center of oven about 20 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center of meatballs reads 165°F and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente as directed on box.
- To make Sauce, in 10-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion; cook until translucent. Add chopped garlic; cook 60 seconds longer. Stir in tomatoes with liquid. Simmer until most of liquid has been reduced. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Toss cooked pasta, meatballs and sauce. Garnish with additional fresh basil.
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated red onion
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- About 1/2 cup pearl mozzarella
- 1 box (1 lb) orecchiette (tiny disk) pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves