No-Boil Mac and Cheese
Did you know you can make mac and cheese without boiling noodles? Here's how! Recipe by Half Baked Harvest.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 8 Recipe Yield
- Gather ingredients and preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add the pasta and about 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the prepared baking dish, set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, whisking constantly, for about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, whisking often, until a very thin, glossy sauce forms, about 10 minutes. Stir in the mustard powder, cayenne pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the heat. Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta, stirring to coat. The pasta should be submerged in the sauce. Cover with foil and bake until pasta is almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe your same sauce pot clean, then add remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter. Add garlic and breadcrumbs, toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. If desired you can toast the crumbs over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Remove the pasta from the oven and remove the foil from dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup havarti cheese, then the breadcrumb mixture. Bake until pasta is tender, edges are bubbling, and top is golden brown, about 10-20 minutes longer. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired.
No Boil Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tspn mustard powder
- 1/4 tspn cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tspn salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded havarti cheese
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1 cup Progresso™ panko crispy bread crumbs or Progresso™ plain bread crumbs
- Parsley, chopped (for garnish)