Porchetta with Bacon
This spin on the traditional Italian roast uses bacon instead of pork belly for a quicker, easier version with all the flavor of the original.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 8 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 6-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add pork loin, top side down; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until brown. Turn; brown 3 to 4 minutes on second side. Transfer pork to cutting board.
- Add onions to butter in Dutch oven; cook 1 to 3 minutes or until onions just begin to soften. Increase heat to medium-high. Add broth; heat to simmering, then cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently to release onions and browned bits from bottom. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix garlic, herbs, salt, pepper flakes, fennel and lemon peel. Rub all over pork, then pile any remaining rub evenly on top. Place bacon slices over top. Place pork on top of onions and sauce in Dutch oven, then transfer Dutch oven, uncovered, to oven and roast 45 minutes to 1 hour or until bacon is crisp and meat thermometer inserted into center of pork reads 145°F.
- Transfer pork to clean cutting board. Cover with foil, and let rest until sauce is finished. Meanwhile, place Dutch oven over medium-high heat; boil sauce 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Use serrated knife to cut pork into 8 slices. Serve with sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lb pork loin roast, trimmed of visible fat
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 2 cups Progresso™ unsalted chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise DIRECTIONS