Sage Butter And Pumpkin Risotto
This creamy, savory pumpkin risotto recipe is infused with sage, butter and parmesan for a comforting fall dinner that tastes like fall on a fork!
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 6 Recipe Yield
- Pour the broth into a large sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer.
- While the broth simmers, melt half of the butter (4 tablespoons) in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the sage leaves, and cook until the sage is fragrant and the butter begins to slightly brown, about 4 minutes. Add in the onions and garlic, and cook until they are fragrant and tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the rice, and stir so each grain of rice is coated by the butter mixture. Continue cooking the rice until it begins to brown slightly and smell toasty, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the white wine. Return the pan to the medium-high heat, and then use a spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir constantly while the rice absorbs the wine.
- Once the rice has absorbed most of the wine and the pan looks relatively dry, add one ladleful of the hot chicken or vegetable broth to the pan. Stir frequently until the liquid is absorbed and the pan again looks relatively dry, about 2 minutes. Repeat this process, adding broth one ladleful at a time and stirring until the liquid is absorbed, until only about 2 cups of broth are left.
- Begin tasting the risotto for doneness and seasoning when you have 2 cups of broth left. Depending on the age of your rice and the humidity in the air, you might not need all 8 cups of broth to get the rice soft and tender. Your rice should start to soften up around the 15-20 minute mark.
- When the risotto is tender and creamy, remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then stir in the remaining butter, Parmesan and pumpkin until cheese and butter are melted. Serve immediately topped with additional sage leaves and pepitas.
- 8 cups (about 2 32-oz. cartons) Progresso™ chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup (packed) fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and additional sage leaves