Slow-Cooker Chicken with Apples and Crème Fraiche
Comfort food from the crock! Fresh thyme, apples, sage and crème fraiche give this slow-simmered chicken dinner irresistible depth.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 5 Recipe Yield
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Season chicken thighs with salt. Brown chicken thighs, in batches if needed, on both sides, along with the shallots. Do not worry about cooking the chicken through. Remove chicken and shallots from skillet, and add to slow cooker.
- Remove skillet from heat; add brandy. Return skillet with brandy to heat to deglaze by scraping up brown bits from bottom. Once the bits are all scraped up, add brandy to slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme and apples to slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 hours. After 3 1/2 hours, stir in sage. After 4 hours, just before serving, stir in crème fraîche. Serve over mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 to 3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 shallots, halved
- 1/4 cup Calvados (apple brandy) or apple cider
- 1/4 cup Progresso™ reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- Betty Crocker™ mashed potatoes, as desired