Cheese Stuffed Meatballs and Spaghetti
- 4 sticks (1 oz each) string cheese, cut into 18 (3/4-inch) cubes
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 jar (48 oz) tomato pasta sauce (any variety)
- 1 1/2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 egg
- 12 oz uncooked spaghetti
- 2/3 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- Place cheese cubes in resealable freezer plastic bag; seal bag and freeze at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. In bowl, mix bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons pasta sauce. Stir in beef, onion, salt, oregano and egg. Shape mixture into 18 (2-inch) balls. Press 1 cheese cube into center of each ball, sealing it inside. Place in pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Pour remaining pasta sauce into 5-quart Dutch oven. Cover; heat to simmering over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Gently stir in meatballs; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center. Cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package. Serve meatballs and sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Next time, try making these meatballs smaller and serve them as appetizers; use the sauce for dipping.
- For food safety, ground beef needs to reach an internal temperature of 160°F.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 22g 33%, Saturated Fat 12g 60%, Cholesterol 65mg 22%, Sodium 900mg 38%, Potassium 410mg 12%, Total Carbohydrate 21g 7%, Dietary Fiber 1g 5%, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 25%, Iron 4%, Vitamin D 10%, Vitamin E 2%, Thiamin 15%, Riboflavin 20%, Niacin 10%, Vitamin B6 15%, Folic Acid 6%, Vitamin B12 10%, Pantothenic Acid 8%, Phosphorus 25%, Magnesium 8%, Zinc 10%, Selenium 20%, Copper 8%, Manganese 8%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 330, Calories from Fat 190, Trans Fat 1/2g, Monounsaturated Fat 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 0g, Sugars 5g, Protein 13g, Beta-Carotene 4%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 1 1/2, Starch 1, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1/2, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 0, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 1, High-Fat Meat 1/2, Fat 2 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 1/4c, Grains 0oz-eq, Meat & Beans 1oz-eq, Dairy 1c, Fats & Oils 2tsp