Grandma’s Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10.5 oz each) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 3 cups Progresso™ plain panko crispy bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place chicken evenly in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Spoon and spread soup evenly over chicken; sprinkle with cheese.
- In medium bowl, stir bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over cheese. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are golden brown and thoroughly heated.
- This easy chicken casserole recipe is brimming with old-fashioned goodness, but it comes together with super-modern speed. You’ll need only 10 minutes of hands-on prep time before you pop the chicken casserole dish in the oven, thanks to smart-shortcut ingredients like cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese and bread crumbs. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken or a surplus of day-after holiday turkey, reach for this recipe and add three cups of the cooked meat when you toss together the other ingredients. If you’re ready for more easy, one-dish chicken comfort food, browse all of Betty’s best chicken casserole recipes.
- Your grandma probably didn’t use panko bread crumbs, which are crispy crumbs used in Japanese cooking. But she’d definitely embrace them if she were given a box. Panko makes topping a casserole quick and ensures there’s good texture and contrast to the creamy center of the hot dish.
- Leftover roast turkey is a great substitute for chicken in this recipe—especially the day after Thanksgiving.
- Sub in crispy French-fried onions to top the casserole or try Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend instead of cheddar cheese.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 29g 45%, Saturated Fat 14g 68%, Cholesterol 105mg 34%, Sodium 1060mg 44%, Potassium 170mg 5%, Total Carbohydrate 37g 12%, Dietary Fiber 0g 0%, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 20%, Iron 8%, Vitamin D 4%, Vitamin E 4%, Thiamin 6%, Riboflavin 15%, Niacin 25%, Vitamin B6 15%, Folic Acid 4%, Vitamin B12 8%, Pantothenic Acid 8%, Phosphorus 25%, Magnesium 6%, Zinc 15%, Selenium 30%, Copper 2%, Manganese 2%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 520, Calories from Fat 260, Trans Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 1/2g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 0g, Sugars 2g, Protein 27g, Beta-Carotene 8%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 2 1/2, Starch 1, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1 1/2, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 0, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 2 1/2, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 1, Fat 2 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 0c, Grains 0oz-eq, Meat & Beans 2oz-eq, Dairy 1/2c, Fats & Oils 4tsp