Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely diced onion
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped deli rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat broth, wild rice and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to boiling over high heat. Stir; cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook about 45 minutes, without lifting cover, until rice is tender but still firm.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to brown. Add mushrooms; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms brown and soften. Add thyme and flour. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour begins to brown and smells nutty. Add water; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir vegetable mixture into wild rice mixture. Stir in chicken and cream; heat to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes to heat through and combine flavors. Divide among 6 bowls, and top with more fresh thyme, if desired.
- Make sure those mushrooms really start to brown before adding the flour. Color equals flavor.
- Prefer pork instead of chicken? Ham makes a great substitute in this soup.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 15g 23%, Cholesterol 70mg 24%, Sodium 850mg 35%, Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%, Vitamin D 2%, Vitamin E 4%, Thiamin 10%, Riboflavin 20%, Niacin 30%, Vitamin B6 20%, Folic Acid 10%, Vitamin B12 4%, Pantothenic Acid 10%, Phosphorus 20%, Magnesium 10%, Zinc 15%, Selenium 20%, Copper 10%, Manganese 15%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 310, Calories from Fat 140, Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 1/2g, Monounsaturated Fat 4 1/2g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Potassium 390mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 2g, Sugars 5g, Protein 16g, Beta-Carotene 45%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 2, Starch 1, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 0, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 2, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 1 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 3/4c, Grains 1oz-eq, Meat & Beans 1oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 1tsp