Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb bulk Italian pork sausage
- 2 cups diced onions
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (19 oz each) Progresso™ cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into hot oil; cook until no longer pink. Transfer with slotted spoon to plate; set aside.
- Add onions and salt to Dutch oven; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Stir in kale; cook about 1 minute or until slightly wilted.
- Stir in garlic. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth and sausage; heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes to combine flavors. Divide among 8 bowls; top with cheese.
- Removing kale ribs makes the greens more tender.
- Opting for higher-quality Parmesan adds a tremendous amount of flavor over the pregrated cheese.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 7g 11%, Saturated Fat 2 1/2g 13%, Cholesterol 15mg 5%, Sodium 880mg 37%, Potassium 220mg 6%, Total Carbohydrate 26g 9%, Dietary Fiber 6g 26%, Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 20%, Iron 15%, Vitamin D 2%, Vitamin E 4%, Thiamin 6%, Riboflavin 4%, Niacin 6%, Vitamin B6 6%, Folic Acid 8%, Vitamin B12 4%, Pantothenic Acid 2%, Phosphorus 10%, Magnesium 4%, Zinc 4%, Selenium 6%, Copper 15%, Manganese 10%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 220, Calories from Fat 70, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 1/2g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 0g, Sugars 6g, Protein 13g, Beta-Carotene 60%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 2, Starch 1, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1/2, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 1, Very Lean Meat 1/2, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 1/2, Fat 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 3/4c, Grains 0oz-eq, Meat & Beans 0oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 0tsp