Chili con Carne
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 cups Muir Glen™ organic diced tomatoes (from 28-oz can), undrained
- 1 can (19 oz) Progresso™ red kidney beans, undrained
- In 3-quart saucepan, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
- Here's a new way to top off your chili! Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over individual servings of the hot chili, then drizzle with a little ranch dressing and add a few chili-cheese-flavored corn chips.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 14g 21%, Saturated Fat 5g 25%, Cholesterol 70mg 23%, Sodium 770mg 32%, Potassium 980mg 28%, Total Carbohydrate 35g 12%, Dietary Fiber 9g 38%, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 10%, Iron 35%, Vitamin D 4%, Vitamin E 10%, Thiamin 20%, Riboflavin 15%, Niacin 25%, Vitamin B6 30%, Folic Acid 40%, Vitamin B12 30%, Pantothenic Acid 10%, Phosphorus 35%, Magnesium 20%, Zinc 40%, Selenium 25%, Copper 20%, Manganese 35%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 390, Calories from Fat 130, Trans Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Soluble Fiber 2g, Insoluble Fiber 7g, Sugars 6g, Protein 31g, Beta-Carotene 25%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 2, Starch 1 1/2, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1/2, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 1, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 3 1/2, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 1 1/4c, Grains 0oz-eq, Meat & Beans 5oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 0tsp