Italian Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 teaspoon gray salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 cup Progresso™ balsamic vinegar
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ beef flavored broth
- 4 slices (3/4 inch thick) Italian country bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- In 12- to 14-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic begins to brown. Stir in onions and salt. Cook about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown.
- Stir in sage and vinegar. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in broth. Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, set oven control to broil. Sprinkle bread with cheese; place on cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted (watch carefully). Place 1 slice of bread on each serving of soup.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 14g 21%, Sodium 1330mg 56%, Potassium 420mg 12%, Total Carbohydrate 44g 15%, Dietary Fiber 5g 21%, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 30%, Iron 10%, Vitamin D 0%, Vitamin E 6%, Thiamin 20%, Riboflavin 15%, Niacin 8%, Vitamin B6 15%, Folic Acid 25%, Vitamin B12 10%, Pantothenic Acid 4%, Phosphorus 25%, Magnesium 10%, Zinc 10%, Selenium 20%, Copper 8%, Manganese 25%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 350, Calories from Fat 120, Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 1/2g, Cholesterol 15mg, Soluble Fiber 2g, Insoluble Fiber 3g, Sugars 14g, Protein 13g, Beta-Carotene 0%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 3, Starch 1, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 2, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 1, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 1 1/2c, Grains 1oz-eq, Meat & Beans 0oz-eq, Dairy 1/2c, Fats & Oils 2tsp