Slow-Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) Muir Glen™ organic tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles, undrained
- 1 medium onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups Progresso™ unsalted chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 packet (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired
- Sour cream, if desired
- Chopped cilantro, if desired
- Diced avocado, if desired
- In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix corn, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles and onion. Stir in broth, chicken and taco seasoning. Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 hours or Low heat setting 8 hours.
- While soup is cooking, heat oven to 425°F. Brush both sides of each tortilla with vegetable oil. Stack tortillas, and cut into 1/4-inch strips. Spread in single layer on large cookie sheet, and sprinkle with salt; bake 7 to 9 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, stirring halfway through to ensure even browning. Cool.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into serving bowls, and garnish with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, cilantro and avocado, as desired.
- Looking for a shortcut? Use crumbled purchased baked tortilla chips in place of the recipe’s tortilla strip garnish.
- Pinto beans can be substituted for the black beans.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Potassium 540mg 15%, Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%, Vitamin D 0%, Vitamin E 2%, Thiamin 15%, Riboflavin 8%, Niacin 45%, Vitamin B6 25%, Folic Acid 25%, Vitamin B12 4%, Pantothenic Acid 8%, Phosphorus 30%, Magnesium 15%, Zinc 10%, Selenium 25%, Copper 10%, Manganese 20%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 330, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 1/2g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 1/2g, Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 1100mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g, Dietary Fiber 8g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 7g, Sugars 7g, Protein 26g, Beta-Carotene 0%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 3, Starch 1 1/2, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 1, Very Lean Meat 2 1/2, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 1/2c, Grains 1oz-eq, Meat & Beans 3oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 1tsp