Classic Beef Stroganoff
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2x1/2-inch strips.
- Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender; remove from skillet.
- Cook beef in same skillet until brown. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour; stir into beef mixture. Add onion mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil). Serve over noodles.
- Originally developed in India, Worcestershire sauce was first bottled in Worcester, England. This condiment’s ingredients usually include garlic, soy sauce, onions, molasses, lime, anchovies and vinegar.
- Beef is easier to cut when it has been partially frozen for about 1 hour first.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Vitamin A 16%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 22%, Vitamin D 16%, Folic Acid 18%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 435 , Calories from Fat 205 , Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Sodium 620 mg, Potassium 560 mg, Total Carbohydrate 31 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Protein 28 g, Starch 2 , High-Fat Meat 3 , Fat 1