Easy Ham and Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 oz each) Progresso™ cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions, leek, carrots, celery and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf. Add beans and ham. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cabbage and pepper. Continue heating 5 to 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Cannellini beans are also known as white kidney beans; they have a similar taste and texture.
- If you don’t have any cabbage, try using 2 cups chopped kale instead. It will have great flavor and more color.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 5g 8%, Saturated Fat 1g 6%, Cholesterol 15mg 5%, Dietary Fiber 5g 22%, Vitamin A 45%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%, Vitamin D 2%, Vitamin E 4%, Thiamin 15%, Riboflavin 6%, Niacin 10%, Vitamin B6 8%, Folic Acid 6%, Vitamin B12 4%, Pantothenic Acid 4%, Phosphorus 10%, Magnesium 4%, Zinc 6%, Selenium 8%, Copper 4%, Manganese 8%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 180, Calories from Fat 45, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1/2g, Sodium 1150mg, Potassium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 20g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 0g, Sugars 3g, Protein 13g, Beta-Carotene 80%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 1, Starch 1/2, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1/2, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 1/2, Very Lean Meat 1 1/2, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 1, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 1/2c, Grains 0oz-eq, Meat & Beans 1oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 1tsp