Loaded Potato Soup
- 1 package (12 oz) bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons)
- 2 lb baking potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 container (8 oz) sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (10 oz)
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Cook onion in bacon drippings over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until almost tender.
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, mix onion, broth and potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Meanwhile, in same skillet, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour with whisk until smooth. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in 2 cups of the milk. Pour milk mixture into potato mixture. Add remaining 2 cups milk, the salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in ham, half of the bacon, the sour cream, 2 cups of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the green onions. Cook until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Evenly top individual servings with remaining bacon, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/4 cup green onions.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 27g 41%, Saturated Fat 10g 51%, Cholesterol 120mg 40%, Sodium 1500mg 62%, Total Carbohydrate 83g 28%, Dietary Fiber 7g 29%, Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 35%, Iron 40%, Vitamin D 4%, Vitamin E 20%, Thiamin 60%, Riboflavin 40%, Niacin 45%, Vitamin B6 30%, Folic Acid 40%, Vitamin B12 40%, Pantothenic Acid 10%, Phosphorus 50%, Magnesium 25%, Zinc 50%, Selenium 110%, Copper 25%, Manganese 40%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 750, Calories from Fat 240, Trans Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat 4g, Potassium 1130mg, Soluble Fiber 2g, Insoluble Fiber 6g, Sugars 19g, Protein 43g, Beta-Carotene 60%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 5 1/2, Starch 5, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 0, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 1/2, Milk 0, Vegetable 0, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 3, High-Fat Meat 1/2, Fat 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 1c, Grains 2oz-eq, Meat & Beans 3oz-eq, Dairy 1c, Fats & Oils 1tsp