Creamy Tomato Italian Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can (19 oz) Progresso™ Vegetable Classics tomato basil soup
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups baby spinach, lightly packed
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, as desired
- Chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, as desired
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add chicken breasts; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet; heat over medium heat. Add onions; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and Italian seasoning; continue to cook another minute. Stir in tomato soup; heat to boiling. Cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add browned chicken; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes, turning chicken over after 8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (at least 165°F). Stir in cream and spinach. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Divide among serving plates; garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- No fresh spinach in the house? You can substitute 1/2 cup of frozen spinach, cooked and drained, for the fresh baby spinach in this recipe.
- If desired, you can serve this dish over cooked rice or pasta. Crusty bread would also make a lovely accompaniment.
Daily Values (Amount per serving)
Total Fat 19g 30%, Saturated Fat 6g 31%, Cholesterol 120mg 40%, Sodium 760mg 32%, Potassium 910mg 26%, Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%, Dietary Fiber 3g 11%, Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%, Vitamin D 4%, Vitamin E 10%, Thiamin 8%, Riboflavin 15%, Niacin 80%, Vitamin B6 40%, Folic Acid 15%, Vitamin B12 8%, Pantothenic Acid 15%, Phosphorus 30%, Magnesium 15%, Zinc 10%, Selenium 45%, Copper 6%, Manganese 15%
Other Nutrients and Exchanges (Amount per serving)
Calories 400, Calories from Fat 170, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 0g, Sugars 7g, Protein 39g, Beta-Carotene 80%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 1, Starch 0, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 1, Very Lean Meat 5, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 3 1/2, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 0c, Grains 0oz-eq, Meat & Beans 0oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 0tsp